Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Starving Artist


This week is going to be a cold, wet, possibly snowy week. Yesterday, in an effort to find new ways to keep the very happy three year old from becoming the very grouchy three year old I went to Target, looking for a new adventure to keep little hands occupied. While walking down the arts and crafts aisle I had a sudden Kindergarten flashback! There, right before my eyes, were the little pots of watercolor paints I had so enjoyed as a child, and they were on sale!
Today the rain started, but the three year old still begged to go outside. Who cares that it's 34 degrees. Who cares that it's pouring down rain? Who cares that he has a cough?
I bring out the paints and all thoughts of going outside disappear! Quickly I am transported back in time to my childhood. Now, though, I am the one cautioning against using too much water. I am the one saying, "Use the tip of the brush. Don't mash it down."
Evidently painting is really hard work because I suddenly have the very hungry three year old. He's not ready to stop painting, but he's starving nigh unto death! So, with paintbrush in one hand and PB in the other he continues his masterpiece for Daddy.
When he thought I wasn't looking he tried drinking the water we had been dipping our brushes in. It brings back memories. :-)

2 comments:

His Mercy Endureth Forever said...

I have a rubbermaid container full of "art" and projects from the kids. It is one of my most prized possesions. I enjoy looking back and seeing how they've grown in their artistic style!

Kelly Spezzano said...

So does it bother you that you are seeing signs of becoming "our" moms? (just kidding)

Thanks for the advice yesterday. After swaddling my little Houdini the second time he finally went to sleep... we'll keep working on it! :)